Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Project 30: "What CAN you do Delgado?!"

Task 16/30: See a game at the soon to be destroyed Shea Stadium in Queens, New York
Complete: April 17, 2008

DC Nationals vs. NY Mets

DC Nationals vs. NY Mets

DC Nationals vs. NY Mets

DC Nationals vs. NY Mets

Going to Shea was another thing I knew I had to do because I would never be able to do it again if I didn't go. Just like being a trooper to the Yankees game because I will always regret missing a game at Fenway when I was in Boston, I was going to see the Mets no matter what. Strange that both New York teams are getting new stadiums, but definitely a statement, and I can now say I've seen both of the old ones. After the Yankees game, it was pretty nice to have a buddy to go with me this time, and much better seats for seeing the Mets take on the Nationals than I had for my last game in the Bronx. Even if the matchup sucked equally, this time I enjoyed myself much more being able to cheer for at least one of the teams. Even the fans in that section were much more entertaining than the upper deck for the Yankees, and it was a packed in crowd as we cheered and groaned at the plays of the game. I really liked the stadium, and it was neat to see a bit different part of New York on the way there. It was again cold and we had a full trade show to work, but I felt lucky to get to go to this game on my second trip to New York in a month, so after 8 innings and a predicted DC victory, we caught the train back. When I got back, I kept refreshing mlb.com, and 2 hours later the game ended in the 14th with a Mets victory by Delgado, the same guy our whole section clowned earlier in the game. While I was sad to have missed the exciting ending, I was also happy to have been warm in my hotel bed, and calling it MISSION COMPLETE.

See all my Shea Stadium pictures here.

No comments: