Friday, April 11, 2008

DC

I haven't written since I've been here because I have been mourning the post I lost that I spent 2 hours on the train typing on the way here about Philly, freedom and my own personal revolution. Then I had a horrible hotel disaster that would have been less tragic had I slept, eaten and not been sick as hell and overheated from walking around in the heat with a jacket on for 5 hours before finding out I didn't have a room. But those factors all were present and I had a panic attack in the middle of a lobby and all I could think is that they must think this poor little white girl is nuts. The one thing I can say for that place was the staff and the beautiful women with their amazing Carribean accents did a great job in trying to calm me down. I ended up finding another room and spending twice as much money, but in a much better situation and just saying I will have to deal with it when I get home. I'm here now, and I'm not having this week ruined for anything. Priceline, I bow to you like the god you are.

I'm so sick of being sick, and heat and jeans and yeah...It's just not been the most comfortable leg of the trip. I'm congested and snotty now, which is at least dealable. I've managed to go just as hard in DC as I did in NYC, and now tomorrow have a "cleanup" day after the parade, which means there is a much shorter list of things to fit within 8 hours. (I have a ticket for the Stephen Schwartz Project in Alexandria tomorrow night, but getting there is a huge PIA and not exactly a safe area, so even though he is a musical genius, and I hate to waste money, I may have to shine it.) I've just spent the past hour sorting out my souvenirs and my folding all my dirty clothes and bagging away my smelly socks. I've done a really good job of having a moderate trip where I've gotten to do most of the things I've wanted to do, and haven't felt too restricted on most things. I've bought what I've wanted, and not really said no to myself too many times. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and so I'm going to live it. I've had one spoiling meal in each city, where I sat and relaxed and enjoyed myself with a indulging meal, in NYC and here with a yummy speciality cocktail. (I was too sick in Philly and Nyquil was my relaxation inducer of choice.) I'm very pleased with myself and how I've pushed forward, alone, on this trip. I feel accomplished and independent, save for my little breakdown where I really should have been stronger and pulled it together. I ended up doing it all by myself anyway, I didn't need to make that scene and it serves as the only weak point on this trip. I feel like a postman. The show must go on. Despite fever and blisters and rain, I've powered forward to see a list of places that seems unimaginable in just a short time. I've been having serious knee issues, have a side ache that won't quit, and I've lost weight that I couldn't afford from lack of making food a true priority this week, but I'm certain a bit more of a regular schedule coming after my work trip to NY next week, I will be okay. (This trip has made me feel old in so many ways, I'm really not liking certain thoughts in my head, but I am trying to push them out.) Wait, oh my god, I have to come back to this coast in 5 days and I haven't even left yet. It seemed novel at the time, but knowing I now have 2 days to get all my work done from the week I was gone and the week I am leaving, laundry, pack, and do my taxes, and not upset my cat, I'm starting to think it was a bad idea.

I've been laying down since 5pm almost straight and my feet STILL throb and my knee is aching. The saving grace moment of the day came when I got to the fountain that I could shed my shoes and stick my feet in the freezing water. I would have never made it down the Mall to the Washington Monument. Today, I went to the grand opening of the Newseum (very cool to be a part of history), went to the top of the Washington Monument (cause I got up and stood in line at 7am this morning to get my ticket), stood in line for another hour and saw the Constitution and other documents of freedom, saw the Hope Diamond at the Natural History Museum, Mister Roger's sweater, Dorothy's Ruby Red Slippers, and other "American Treasures", went to the National Portrait Gallery and American Art Museum, the Air and Space Museum for a few minutes, the Smithson Crypt and Smithsonian Castle, and had the best tortilla soup I have ever had in my life. (In fact, I may go back to that same place tomorrow and see if I can sneak in again, it was serious yum. They had things like duck tacos and some of the craziest Mexican food I have ever seen.)

I deserved this week, and I will never forget it. I'm so glad I have one more day, I think it will be the perfect wrap up to a set of lifetime memories. No matter what happens when I get home, I had these 9 days, learning, living and breathing free. Good job girl.

For those Project 30 curious, I've just not had the energy to give them the proper attention, but yes, we now have Mission Accomplished on Broadway, Yankees and DC Museums. Woohoo! Official posts to come, but I am now HALF WAY DONE!!!!! And for that alone, I will find a nice place to have a drink tomorrow night at the end of my day to toast this trip and my accomplishment. I'm proud of me.

No comments: